With a poor previous month I knew this month needed stepping up a notch. A continuation of the plan from last month, training more often but at a greater intensity over a shorter duration.
Week 1: (w/c 29th Jan)
- Gym – Indoor climbing
- Mountaineering – 12 km with 987 m of ascent
- Mountaineering – 13.4 km with 1134 m of ascent
- Mountaineering – 12.7 km with 1098 m of ascent
- Mountaineering – 12.5 km with 1127 m of ascent
Absolute exhaustion. Four 8 hour plus days in the mountains back to back has written me off. I did some pretty strenuous lead ice climbing too which knackered me out. Not only no time, but no in physical condition to do anything else. I need to recover!
Week 2: (w/c 5th Feb)
- Gym – Indoor climbing
- Resistance – Horizontal push
- Swimming – 2 sets of 5 x 40 m intervals
- Resistance – Lower body
- Hill sprints – 3 sets of 10 sprints
- Mountaineering – 9.4 km with 1065 m of ascent
I should have probably not gone indoor climbing on the monday night absolutely knackered from the previous week. Recovery is still very much needed. I still feel incredibly guilty for not doing any strength sessions for a few weeks but carrying a heavy pack full of climbing gear up steep inclines for 30 odd hours is probably a good excuse not to. I eventually got in the gym, although I would have preferred to do one more session for the week, I think missing a ‘pull’ session is not going to do me any harm the amount of climbing I’ve been doing. I also did some swimming intervals and some sprinting which felt great before heading off for some more climbing; only to arrive in appalling conditions, nonetheless my last winter day before going to Scotland.
Week 3: (w/c 12th Feb)
- Resistance – Chest and some lower body
- Road bike – 35.7 km with 129 m of ascent
- Resistance – Upper body pull with some legs
- Road run – 5 km
- Resistance – Lower body and Horizontal push
- Swimming – 1 km
- Resistance – Shoulders and back
- Circuit – Strength
- Circuit – Anaerobic
Back to good solid gym sessions and felt good to have some time back in the saddle. I snatched a sunny period on a rainy day that was freezing cold but the legs felt good after a few weeks off the tarmac, holding an average speed of 32.8 kph for my 35 km. A brutal third gym session of the week left me with some DOMS after really lifting hard. A nice recovery swim before finishing the week off in a sweat with some circuits.
Week 4: (w/c 19th Feb)
- Rock climbing – 3 hours
- Mountaineering – 10.3 km with 1347 m of ascent
- Mountaineering – 13.1 km with 1167 m of ascent
- Mountaineering – 11.6 km with 1489 m of ascent
- Mountaineering – 12.7 km with 1277 m of ascent
- Mountaineering – 17.5 km with 1389 m of ascent
- Mountaineering – 13.4 km with 1262 m of ascent
Scotland! Need I say more. Fantastic to be back up there as always. Thoroughly enjoyed, but thoroughly worn out!
A better month all round! I Think the final training month will focus on a similar approach just due to my time constraints with work etc. but making more of a marked effort to spend at least two days a week out on the bike.